DocIt – Get Organized Week Checklist
The first full week of October is Get Organized Week, so we created a 7-day plan to help you organize your home! We know that can seem incredibly daunting…but breaking it down into smaller tasks makes it much more manageable. Set aside an hour each day (or whatever amount of time you can spare, even if it’s only 10 minutes) and use our checklist as a guide to get organized!
Day 1: Kitchen
- Throw Out: Food that has been pushed to the back of your fridge/pantry and forgotten.
- Sell/Donate: Dishes, duplicate utensils, tupperware, or even small appliances that never get used.
- Organization Tip: Use food storage containers with labels and drawer/shelf organizers to maximize space.
Day 2: Bathroom
- Throw Out: Old products that are expired or dried up.
- Make a List: The bathroom is a good place to have a back-stock of supplies like extra toothbrushes, razors, soap, toliet paper, etc. Write what you need and account for it when you organize.
- Organization Tip: Use drawer/shelf organizers to maximize space.
Day 3: Wardrobe
- Throw Out: Clothes that are worn out, ripped, or missing buttons and cannot be repaired.
- Sell/Donate: Clothes that is in good condition but doesn’t fit or hasn’t been worn in the past year.
- Do the same with accessories like purses, jewelry, hats, scarves, etc.
- Organization Tip: Use closest organizers to maximize space.
Day 4: Electronics
- Throw Out: Anything that no longer works.
- Sell/Donate: Old CDs, DVDs, video games, etc. that you no longer use.
- Organization Tip: Use drawer/shelf organizers to consolidate any random items like chargers, extension cords, etc. into one designated area.
Day 5: Paper Clutter
- Throw Out/Shred: Any junk mail or papers you no longer need.
- Categorize: Separate your papers out into different categories.
- Organization Tip: Consolidate with binders, expanding files, and envelopes.
- Make a Habit: Keep on top of shredding, recycling, and filing papers every day.
Day 6 & 7: Misc
- Go back and finish anything you didn’t get to yet this week before moving on to other areas.
- Other Areas to Organize: Your kids’ playroom, underneath your bed, craft supplies, tools, books, the “junk drawer”, your garage, basement, attic, car – any other areas that need some attention.